News Release

For Other Kentucky Government Sites Visit:
Click here to visit, the Official State Government Site for the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Media / For More Information Contact:
Sergeant Michael B. Webb
Kentucky State Police
Public Affairs Branch
Office (502) 782-1780

Two Officers in Metcalfe County Shooting Released, One to be Released

Date of Release: 06/01/05

FRANKFORT, KY - Two law enforcement officers involved in a Metcalfe County shooting incident yesterday have been released from the hospital and a third is expected to be released tonight.

Kentucky State Police Tpr. Andy Olson was released from the University of Louisville Hospital today and is recovering at home. Edmonton Police Chief Tony Hill was released from the same hospital last night, and Metcalfe County Deputy Sheriff Kevin Thompson is expected to be released from the U of L hospital this evening.

Olson was treated for gunshot wounds to his left arm, Thompson was treated for a head wound and Hill received care for a gunshot wound to his right arm.

A suspect wounded and then apprehended after firing on the officers is still in the University of Louisville Hospital undergoing treatment.

Kentucky State Police Commissioner Mark L. Miller said he is pleased that two of the officers already have been released from the hospital with a third going home soon. He emphasized the peril that officers face every day.

"Law enforcement agencies working together, as in this case, can help minimize risks through combined efforts," said Miller. "Whether it's a traffic stop or serving warrants, as in this circumstance, no situation is ever 'routine' for police officers. Tpr. Olson, Chief Harris and Deputy Thompson thankfully survived this, but were wounded nonetheless. Officers put their lives on the line every day. It's not just a saying; it's a reality."

Lt. Governor Steve Pence expressed relief upon hearing updates about the officers.

"I am thankful to hear the officers have or are being released from the hospital, and I wish them speedy recoveries," said Pence. "Events like these remind us of the dangers associated with law enforcement. This profession demands much from those who are sworn to serve and protect our commonwealth. We are truly grateful for their courage in the line of duty."

Olson and Thompson were serving warrants on James Allen Coomer, 42, at a Metcalfe County residence when Coomer fled the residence and allegedly began shooting at the officers. Olson was wounded and Thompson returned fire, fatally wounding Coomer who died at the scene.

Coomer was wanted in Barren County on charges of fourth-degree assault, first-degree burglary and violation of a domestic violence order.

The second suspect fled the same residence and allegedly began firing at Thompson and Harris, who had arrived on the scene to assist. The officers returned fire, wounding the suspect. The investigation is open and charges are pending.

Last Update: