KSP Banner KSP Banner

Trooper Island Frequently Asked Questions

Trooper Island Kids Logo Trooper Island Kids Logo

Where is Trooper Island and is it an Island?

Over Head Picture of Trooper IslandTrooper Island is a 34-acre Island located on Dale Hollow Lake. In viewing distance of the Dale Hollow State Resort Park in South Central Kentucky along the Kentucky and Tennessee State Line in Clinton County.


What are the dates of camp?

Each of the 16 KSP post have a designated week to attend during the summer.

Who can attend?

Boys and girls between the ages of 10 and 12

How can I get an application for my child to attend camp?

Applications are received through a recommendation of a Trooper or recommendation to a Trooper. Applications are not found on-line. Applications are limited to 16 Male and 16 Female from each post. http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/post.html

Is Trooper Island a camp for troubled children?

No, Trooper Island is a camp for underprivileged children which may not be able to attend another camp.

How much does it cost to attend?

There is no cost to attend. Trooper Island is a 501c3 and operates solely from donations.

If you would like to sponsor a child, the cost is approximately $300.00 per child to attend.

Does Trooper Island hold special needs camps?

Special needs camps are scheduled from year to year basis, After March the camp schedule for this year will be posted. (see camp dates)

How can I make a donation?

Donations can be made directly to Trooper Island at (Trooper Island Camp, P.O. Box 473, Albany, KY 42602) or through your Local Kentucky State Police Post, or Kentucky State Police Headquarters in Frankfort. All checks should be made payable to Trooper Island Camp.

Is my donation tax deductible?

Yes, Trooper Island is a 501c3 corporation.

How long will my child be at camp?

Weekday camps arrive on Monday and Leave on Friday.

Weekend camps arrive Friday afternoon and leave on Sunday afternoon.

Questions if your child is attending camp

What activities do they do while at camp?

Swimming, Fishing, Canoeing, Archery, Nature, and Safety education programs through out the week.

Swimming Activity Canoe Activity
Archery Activity Fishing Activity

Click here to see more Trooper Island Camp Activity Pictues

My child is attending camp what should they bring or not bring?

Things to Bring

  • Minimum of five (5) changes of clothing, which should include shorts and shirts and at least one (1) pair of long pants.
  • Male: Swim trunks or shorts – Female: Swimsuit should be One Piece or a Tankini.
  • Necessary underclothes
  • Jacket
  • Towels, washcloths, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb / brush, deodorant, soap and shampoo.
  • Cap or visor
  • Tennis shoes (old/comfortable) Socks, and Flip Flops or Shower Shoes.
  • May bring a flashlight, but not required
  • Small amount of money (no more than $5.00). This is to be used in case the bus stops while to or from the island.

Do Not Bring

  • X Sleeping Bag or any other type of bedding
  • X  Excess luggage
  • X No type of knife, firearms, fireworks, lighters, tobacco products, video games, radios, CD players, ipods, ipads, jewelry, laptops, portable mp3 players, etc.
  • X  No food / drinks or snacks
  • X Do Not send cell phones

These item will be confiscated by camp director or designated KSP employee.

Trooper Island is not responsible for any of these items if lost or damaged.

Click here to open up the What to Bring and Not Bring List in a new window to print

If I need to call what should I do?

In the event that you need to contact the camp you can call the office at 270-433-5422.

How does my child get there?

Trooper Island has a bus to bring campers to and from camp to each of the Kentucky State Police post. Each post has a designated place for campers to be picked up when attended camp. This is coordinated through the Public Affairs Officer assigned to a specific post.

Visit: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/post.html and click the county map where you live and this will take you to the specific post web site giving you the contact information of the Public Affairs Officer in your area.

Where will my child stay?

Oustide of the cabin Inside of Cabin

What about my child’s medication while at camp?


Please pack any type of medication (prescription or non-prescription), separately in a container with directions and the campers name and give it to the trooper who picks up the camper and brings them to camp. Only send the amount of medication they will need while at camp plus two extra in the event one becomes unusable. Campers are not allowed to keep medication on their person, except for asthma inhalers, while at camp.

Medication is dispensed by qualified camp personnel and kept in secured area away from campers.

How can I volunteer to help at camp?

Contact Trooper Island Camp Director, TFC Jonathan Biven at 270-433-5422 for more information.


How do you apply to become a camp counselor?


  1. Minimum age 17
  2. Must agree and pass background check
  3. Additional Current Certifications receive Priority when applying Ie: Lifeguard, CPR, First Aid, and AED.
  4. Ability to work with children, leading and participating in songs, skits, games and all camp activities
  5. Maintain program area and supplies in clean, safe and proper working order
  6. Plan, supervise, and carry out program responsibilities as assigned
  7. Good moral character, integrity, and adaptability
  8. Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control
  9. Required participation in trainings
  10. Ability to accept supervision and guidance
  11. Assist camp staff and Perform other duties as assigned
  12. Assist with serving and clean up at meal time
  13. Ability to relate to one's peer group
  14. Follow camp objectives, rules, policies, and guidelines
  15. Positive Role model and have a genuine interest in campers
  16. Trooper Island is a residential camp and you are required to stay on the island during camp sessions.

If you would like to apply for a counselor positions send a request to ksptrooperisland@ky.gov by April 1st.