KSP Group Photo

How do I request a public record?

To make an Open Records Request to the Kentucky State Police, you must submit a written request to the Official Custodian of Records. Sign the request, print your name, and describe the records (be specific, i.e. name, date, location) you wish to inspect or obtain copies of. Please include your address and phone number. Mail, email, fax or hand deliver your request to the Kentucky State Police Official Custodian of Records, at the following address:

Kentucky State Police
Legal Services Branch
Attn: Stephanie Dawson, Records Custodian
919 Versailles Road
Frankfort, KY 40601

News Gathering Organization Certification Form: click here to access the news gathering open records request form.

Individuals submitting an open records request may utilize the 2021_Standardized_Open_Records_Request_Form however, it’s not required.

The fax number is 502-573-1636. Send to the attention of Official Custodian of Records. If you have questions, call 502-782-1873.

You may email records requests to ksp.openrecords@ky.gov.

Note: The provided email will receive records requests only, and will not respond to requests for information or statuses of requests. Records generally are not available at the time a request is submitted.

Open Records Requests

What is the Kentucky Open Records Act (KORA)

The Kentucky Open Records Act (KRS 61.870 to KRS 61.884), or KORA, provides access to public records that, by law, are not exempt from disclosure. For more information on the Act, visit the Kentucky Office of the Attorney General Web site at https://ag.ky.gov/orom/Pages/default.aspx.

What are public records?

Public records are those materials prepared, owned, used, possessed, maintained, or retained by state and local government agencies that must be open for public inspection unless the records are excluded by any of the 14 exemptions in the Kentucky Open Records Act. Public agencies are not required to compile information or to answer questions but to provide only specific records responsive to a request. For more information on the14 exemptions and other KORA information, visit the Kentucky Office of the Attorney General Web site at https://ag.ky.gov/orom/Pages/default.aspx.

Is there a cost for records?

The Kentucky State Police (KSP) charges 10 cents per released page. There also are charges for photos, compact discs, videotapes, and diskettes varying from $2-$3 apiece. The official custodian sends a letter stating how much requesters owe for records.

What is the timeframe for a response to my request?

KRS 61.880 (1) governs agency response time. In relevant part, KRS 61.880 (1) provides: “Each public agency, upon any request for records made under KRS 61.870 to 61.884, shall determine within five (5) days, excepting Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays, after the receipt of any such request whether to comply with the request and shall notify in writing the person making the request, within the five (5) day period, of its decision.”

Can I get an accident report from a state police post?

Accident reports are among the most frequently requested KSP records.

KRS 189.635 governs access to accident reports. See https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/statutes/statute.aspx?id=49053.  Pursuant to KRS 189.635(5)(b), accident reports and the information contained therein shall be confidential and exempt from disclosure under the Open Records Act with limited exceptions. KRS 189.635(5)(c) provides that accident reports shall be made available to the following individuals:

  1. The parties to the accident;
  2. The parents or guardians of a minor who is party to the accident;
  3. Insurers or their written designee for insurance business purposes of any party who is the subject of the report;
  4.   The attorneys of the parties to the accident;
  5.   Any party to litigation who files with the department a request for the report and includes a copy of the first page of a District or Circuit Court clerk-stamped complaint naming all parties; and
  6.  The Department of Workplace Standards in the Labor Cabinet if the accident report.

In addition, such reports must be made available to a “news-gathering organization” as defined at KRS 189.635(8)(b). Pursuant to KRS 189.635(8)(d), a newsgathering organization shall complete a KSP-29 form confirming their status, which can be accessed using this link: http://kentuckystatepolice.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/News-Gathering-Org.-KSP029.pdf. Parties to accidents can obtain their own reports from the KSP Post which is located in the area where their accidents occurred. Go to http://kentuckystatepolice.org/post-locations/ to locate areas covered by specific posts.

Accident reports can also be obtained from https://www.buycrash.com. You may also send a written request to the Official Custodian of Records at KSP for a copy of the report via U.S. mail, e-mail, facsimile, or hand-delivery, as explained above.