Madisonville Man Charged With Several Felony Offenses
Date of News Release: 03/18/2015
Madisonville, KY (Hopkins County) - The Kentucky State Police arrested a Madisonville man after conducting a traffic stop and executing a search warrant at his residence.
On Wednesday, March 18, at approximately 1:16 p.m., Trooper Joe Bartolotti conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle operated by Derek A. Battles, 36, of Madisonville, as he was stopped in his driveway on North Daves Street. After taking Mr. Battles into custody, a search warrant was executed at his residence. Trooper Bartolotti had obtained the search warrant earlier in the day.
The search warrant was obtained as a result from a complaint that Trooper Bartolotti had received earlier today. The victim alleged that they had been assaulted by Mr. Battles on several occasions and had been held against their will.
Upon executing the search warrant, troopers located numerous containers with suspected marijuana and drug paraphernalia. Three children were also in the residence alone.
Mr. Battles was charged with the following offenses:
- Trafficking Marijuana < 8 ounces 2nd Offense (D Felony)
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia (A Misdemeanor)
- Assault 1st Degree - 2 counts (B Felony)
- Unlawful Imprisonment 1st Degree (D Felony)
- Wanton Endangerment 1st Degree - 2 counts (D Felony)
- Endangering the Welfare of a Minor - 3 counts (A Misdemeanor)
- Open Alcoholic Beverage Container in Motor Vehicle Prohibited (Violation)
He was lodged in the Hopkins County Jail.
Sergeant Nick Rice, Trooper Bob Winters, the Madisonville Police Department, and the Department for Community Based Services assisted at the scene.