KSP Encourages Responsibility During Super Bowl
Date of News Release: 02/01/2016
Madisonville, KY - As one of America's most anticipated and celebrated sporting events, the Super Bowl brings together families, friends and fans each year to enjoy the excitement of the big game. In many instances, fans will gather to watch the game at sports bars, restaurants or Super Bowl-themed parties. With this in mind, the Kentucky State Police (KSP) encourages fans to enjoy the game, but to make smart choices where alcohol is involved.
"Before choosing to drink, choose a sober designated driver," says Lieutenant Jason Newby, Operations Supervisor for KSP Post 2 Madisonville. "Drunk driving is always preventable, and life is too precious to be lost because of one bad decision."
The KSP offers the following tips:
If you're attending a Super Bowl party or watching the game at a sports bar or restaurant:
- Designate your sober driver or plan another way to get home safely before the party begins.
- If you don't have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, friend, or family member to come and get you; or just stay for the night.
- Never let friends drive if they have had too much to drink.
If you're hosting a Super Bowl party:
- Make sure all your guests designate a sober driver in advance, or arrange for alternate transportation to ensure they get home safely.
- Serve food and include non-alcoholic beverages.
- Stop serving alcohol at the end of the third quarter of the game and begin serving coffee and dessert.
- Keep the numbers for local cab companies handy, and take the keys away from anyone who has had too much to drink.
Remember, your seatbelt is your best defense against a drunken driver in a crash.