[Academy] [Cold Cases] [Commercial Vehicle Enforcement] [Commissioner's Office] [Concealed Deadly Weapons] [Contacting the KSP] [Core Values] [Crime & Traffic Information] [Fallen Trooper Memorial] [FAQs] [Forensic Laboratories] [Forms/Downloads] [Highway Safety] [History of the KSP] [Home Page] [Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force] [Kentucky's Most Wanted] [Links to Other Websites] [Missing Children] [News Releases] [Organization] [Post Locations] [Recruitment] [Sex Offender Registry] [Special Enforcement Troop] [Trooper Island]
[Return to Kentucky State Police Main Website]

For other Kentucky Government sites visit: [Kentucky.gov]

CVE Frequently Asked Questions

This page features a number of common frequently asked questions we receive at the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement.  If you have a question and cannot find the answer to it on this page, please feel free to contact us for the answer by clicking here.

Do I need a US DOT number? Click here for the answer

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle-

(Transportation of Hazardous Materials).

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

GCWR = Gross Combination Weight Rating (truck & trailer added together)

GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight including any load

GCW = Gross Combination Weight of any truck, trailer, and load

Do I need a Medical Examiners Certificate (Medical Card)? Click here for the answer

Yes, any driver operating a commercial vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR of 10,001 lbs or more needs the Medical Examiners Certificate.

Do I need a trailer plate? Click here for the answer

Yes, if you are using a trailer for business purposes. Only privately owned and operated trailers are exempted from licensing in Kentucky. KRS 186.675.

Do I need a KYU number? Click here for the answer

Yes, if the vehicle has a registered weight in excess of 59,999 lbs.

Note: You can obtain a temporary KYU # from the Division of Motor Carriers.

Am I required to carry a log book? Click here for the answer

Yes, if driver is operating a vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVWR 10,001 lbs or more.

There are some exemptions to the log book requirement, If the driver operates within a 100 air-mile radius,

And returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours, and

The motor carrier that employs the driver maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate and true time records showing the following

If you do not meet all of these requirements, you are REQUIRED to have a log book.

If you have other questions, please contact your local CVE Regional Office.

Contact Information for the Kentucky State Police

Kentucky State Police
919 Versailles Road | Frankfort, KY 40601

[ TOP ]

This page was last modified on:

About this site | Feedback | Privacy | Disclaimer | Individuals with Disabilities
Copyright © 2002-2013 Kentucky State Police, all rights reserved