Kentucky State Police Provides Severe Weather and Holiday Weekend Travel Reminders
Mayfield, KY. (December 28, 2021) – The Kentucky State Police, Post 1 would like to remind motorists of important travel safety as we prepare for possible inclement weather during the upcoming holiday weekend. All motorists are encouraged to monitor the weather prior to departing for travel.
A few reminders for highway safety include:
- Abide by speed limits. Reduce speeds during inclement weather.
- Wear your seat belts. Utilize child restraint devices and booster seats when required.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or while impaired by any substance.
- Maintain a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Keep right except to pass. It is Kentucky law that motorists on limited access highways travel in the right lane unless they are actively passing.
- Move over and slow down for stopped emergency vehicles and any other stopped or disabled vehicle on the shoulder or emergency strip.
- Use your headlights and turn signals. With inclement weather, visibility is often reduced. Headlights improve the visibility of your vehicle to others on the roadway and turn signals provide the warning necessary for the vehicle behind you to brake as you slow down to turn.
The Kentucky State Police, Post 1 would also like to remind those traveling on US 45 North in Graves County that The Mayfield Fire-EMS Department has temporarily relocated to a facility on Hickory Road due to tornado damage to their Station 1. Please use extra caution when traveling on US 45 North near the intersection of Hickory Road and be aware that emergency vehicles will be entering US 45 North from that intersection.
# # #