Clay, Ky. (Webster County)– Trooper John Eilert, of Kentucky State Police Post 2 in Madisonville, observed a black 2012 Chevrolet Malibu traveling southbound on KY109, just south of Clay, around 10:43 PM on July 13, 2020. The vehicle matched the description of a vehicle that was reported stolen from Henderson County earlier in the day.
Trooper Eilert initiated his emergency equipment to stop the vehicle, but the operator disregarded and began to flee. The pursuit continued to KY670, where the operator traveled until reaching US41A. The vehicle turned northbound on US41A and continued into Henderson County, where Trooper Wade Denton, of Post 16, successfully deployed a tire deflation device. The stolen vehicle finally came to a stop after striking concrete barriers on Old Corydon Road. The operator, 23-year-old Joseph Carter, of Henderson, Ky., was arrested without further incident.
Joseph Carter was lodged in the Henderson County Detention Center, where he was charged with the following:
- Speeding 26 MPH or > Speed Limit
- Receiving Stolen Property $10,000 or More
- DUI 1st
- Fleeing or Evading Police, 1st Degree (Motor Vehicle)
- Criminal Mischief, 1st Degree
- Operating on Suspended or Revoked Operator’s License
- Possession Controlled Substance 1st Degree, 1st Offense (Methamphetamine)
- Possession of Marijuana
- Possession of Synthetic Drugs – 1st Offense
- Drug Paraphernalia – Buy/Possess
- Disregarding Stop Sign
- Disregarding Traffic Control Device – Traffic Light
- Improper Lane Usage – Vehicles Keep to Right Except to Pass
Carter was also served two warrants for Failure to Appear in Hopkins County.